Cooking With Ms Moore : Mom-Approved Broccoli Mac&Cheese
We can probably all agree that Mac&Cheese is a staple favourite among kids, but the boxed kind is full of added “not so healthy” stuff.
Today I made homemade mac and cheese for my 18 month old, and he loved it! I made it with skim milk and added broccoli, to lower the fat and add some veggies and nutrients. You could add other veggies too like cauliflower, etc. Also, this took just as long as it would take to make the boxed version!
This recipe was enough for my son and myself to have a bowl and enough left over for his lunch/dinner tomorrow.
- 1 1/4 cup uncooked shells pasta (you could use elbow macaroni instead, if you like)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dash of ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup-1 cup broccoli florets (or whatever veggies you want)
- Cook pasta as directed.
- While pasta is cooking, in a seperate medium sauce pan cook milk and flour over medium heat. Stir consistently with a whisk for about 2 minutes, or until thick.
- Add in cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until smooth. Add broccoli, continue stirring until well mixed.
- Add drained pasta to cheese sauce. Toss to coat. Let sit for 4 minutes.
I hope you & your kids enjoy this creamy, cheesy dish and you can feel better about serving a healthier version, rather than the boxed stuff.
Comment below and let me know what you think!