Cooking with MsMoore : Chocolate Chili
I’ve decided to add a new category to my blog !! “Cooking With Ms Moore”
I really enjoy cooking and have made really yummy dishes, here and there, for me and my man. I’ve always said to him that I wanted to compile a recipe book of my favourite recipes or ones I’ve made myself, so that as I get older I could pass it on to our kids.
Since we moved into our new place and I’ve been living a healthier lifestyle, I’ve enjoyed cooking even more !!
The other night I made “Chocolate Chili”. I actually got this recipe from my brother in law. Don’t let the name fool you, it’s not overly sweet or chocolatey (if that’s even a word) lol!!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, diced (about 2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (roughly 4 teaspoons)
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons Chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (6oz) tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5oz) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- Heat large, deep pot over medium-high heat, then add coconut oil.
- When oil is melted, add onions. Stir with spoon and cook until they are translucent (roughly 7 mins). Add the garlic. After about 30 seconds, crumble chunks of ground beef, with your hands, and add to pot. Mix with spoon to combine. Continue to cook meat until no longer pink, stir often.
- In a small bowl, add oregano, cumin, Chili powder, cocoa, allspice and salt. Mix with a fork.
- Add bowl mixture to the pot and stir to combine. Add tomato paste and stir for about 2 minutes to combine everything.
- Add tomatoes with their juice (I used “Chili style” chopped tomatoes), the beef broth and water to the pot. Stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for about 2-3 hours.
- Serve and enjoy !! Any leftovers you can put in the freezer for “ready to heat&eat” Chili.
You can mix the Chili with rice (that’s how my brother in law did his), veggies, or just eat it with some bread & butter!!
I hope you enjoy !! Comment below if you try this recipe and let me know how you like it 🙂